United Airlines will continue to order Economy Plus® on its flights. There had been apprehension about the future of these seats since the merger plan between United Airlines and Continental Airlines was announced. However, it has emerged that United will not only retain these seats, but will even install them on board Continental Airlines aircraft, which is expected to take effect from 2012. From now on, passengers they can go ahead and buy a ticket with United for the spacious and comfortable Economy Plus seats.
Features of the Economy Plus section and future plans
United Airlines Economy Plus seats are very popular with passengers looking for cheap flights with the airline. These seats which are a feature of the most economical section of the airline are more spacious and comfortable.
- United introduced Economy Plus seats aboard its flights in 1999. These seats increase legroom by up to 5 inches.
- Mileage Plus® elite class members of Continental’s elite United and OnePass® members do not have to pay additional fees and can benefit from all flights that offer Economy Plus seats.
- Right now, there is no option for Economy Plus seats with Continental, but the airline will be renewed with an Economy Plus class in the future. However, Continental offers its own version of additional seats.
- Today, United passengers can also enjoy the benefits of Economy Plus on their cheap flights with more than 150 larger United Express® regional aircraft. In fact, all of United’s top 359 aircraft are equipped with these seats and these seats are free for Mileage Plus and OnePass Frequent Flyer members.
- Economy Plus can be used while purchasing tickets, at the airport, during check-in and while booking reservations in the “My Reservations” section of the United website.
- United has expressed plans to introduce Economy Plus on more than 700 major aircraft, including Continental’s major aircraft and larger regional aircraft. Once this multi-year plan materializes, United will have 40,000 Economy Plus seats, which translates into 122,000 Economy Plus seats each day for passengers who book their tickets with United. Currently, no airline has this capability.
What the experts say
Jim Compton, United Continental Holdings’ chief revenue officer, commented on the occasion with the words: “Our customers value Economy Plus and the extra personal space it offers.” In addition, he said that “customers participating in Economy Plus are much more satisfied with their travel experience, as well as travelers who choose other options that allow them to tailor their trip.” Industry experts believe United’s decision to retain Economy Plus demonstrates that the airline is dedicated to offering a personalized travel experience and creative options to its passengers.